Sunday 1 December 2013

My friend Val

I had a very good friend called Val Midgley.     We met about 9 years ago when I went to live in her village - Thornton in West Yorkshire.   She had lived in the same house for 38 years and I was a 'newby'.     We met and took to each other instantly.    She was one of the most funny and fun loving women I have ever known.   We walked Hadrians Wall together for charity and laughed all day and night 'I can't sleep me' said Val every half hour, waking me from my deep sleep (snores she said).    We walked up the three Yorkshire Peaks our hair stood on end in howling winds.   She always hugged me tight and told anyone within hearing distance 'I luv 'er'.   'I love you' she'd say and laugh.    She was a strong Yorkshire woman and we just clicked.    She died suddenly in November.   I feel numb with grief.    She was a young, lively 69.    Everyone who knew Val will miss her like I do.    I know its Christmas and time for cheer and I know what Val would want... so there will be plenty of that.

  
Mick, me and Val at the top of Pen-y-Gent in 2010 - she was over the moon!
and not just because we had reached the summit......


In 2011 our friend Carol (yes the water baby) hosted a 'wee tea party' one saturday afternoon and we all dressed up for the occasion (just us girls).    Val loved any occasion to dress up! 



Val at Carol's tea party with my parasol

me, Val, Carol and Irish Mary at Carol's tea party
Sheila, Mary, Val and Carol in Carol's garden
Val, Mary, Carol and Sheila at the tea party

Val - what a wumin!!


I had three chickens living in the garden last year and called them Val and Mick.... Val thought that was hilarious and I so looked forward to her visit to see them.... not to be.
Mick (a bit hen pecked) and Val (the bossy one)

No comments:

Post a Comment